Monday, July 21, 2008

what a day!!

Today has been a very unusual day. I took Sarah to her one n=month checkup for her ear tubes and they looked great. Dr. Albright had us repeat the hearing tests. They showed that she has a moderate hearing loss in her left ear and a mild one in her right. This was a lot to absorb by myself. The doctor wanted us to go and have a blood test done called connexion 26. I found out that this is a genetic condition that both parents have to have and affects the hearing. Nothing can be done to not have it happen and we are not sure if it is progressive or can be fixed right off the bat. As Russ tries to tell me, we don't know if she has it. One tech told us she had no permanent damage and now another says we do. We have an appointment at the Center for Speech and Hearing on Aug. 20th and hopefully they will give us a better report than today. If she does have the hearing loss she will have to wear a hearing aid.
Having Sarah give blood was a disaster. The first nurse couldn't get the vein and then we had to lay her down, with me at her feet and tummy and Russ at her head talking to her trying to get her to calm down so they could get the vein. The nurses said it was because she was tense, but i think she just has hard veins to find. It was horrible. I am not sure who cried more, Sarah or I. At least she got to sleep on the way home.
I know in my heart she is perfect, I just want this to go away!

No comments: